Thursday 26 May 2011

Consequences

The following poem was handed in today by the uncle of its author. He explained to us that quite soon after his writing of the poem the young man committed suicide. If we are to gain anything from this tragedy it would surely be to take heed of his message within the verses of the poem. Our thoughts are with the poet and his family and we hope that his powerful words will prevent someone else from walking down the same road. We thank him for his wisdom and mourn him and the fact that the world has lost a young man who was obviously intelligent and with a talent for helping others.
The poets mother passed away soon afterwards.

Consequences

I'm just a lad of sixteen years
But my life is almost done
Folk say, at sixteen years of age
Your life has just begun
The reason for my sorry state
Is really sad to tell
My pals were dabbling in the drugs
So I joined in as well

I knew that drugs were contraband
Taboo, against the law
But my pals were doing it, so, so would I
After all, it's just a "blaw"
One night, one mate dared me
With a "whitey" in his hand
Come on kid, try a "whitey"
It'll make you really grand

Another night, he came to me
I was "skint", dead stoney broke
We went into my bedroom
And I was introduced to "coke"
Heroin, coke, LSD
I think Iv'e tried them all
Oh; taking drugs was just the thing
I felt like ten feet tall

But then one day I overdosed
For I had seen, at last
What all those drugs were doing to me
And had done in the past
My family life was ruined
My mother broke her heart
And that was when I asked myself
Why did I ever start?

Why did I destroy myself?
And throw my life away
And get myself into the state
That I am in today
I have the dreaded A.I.D.S. disease
Or, so the doctors say
That's why I took the overdose
To end my life today

So, take heed my fellow druggies
I try to make you see
You repeat what I once uttered
It can't happen to me
My eyes are getting heavy now
And the pen, it weighs a ton
But, by the time you read this letter
My young life will be done

So, goodbye my fellow druggies
My tale I had to tell
Just keep going the way you're going
And we'll meet again, in Hell.




No comments: